Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Ghosts of Christmas past

I wasn't going to write again today but I thought I would share a few of the reasons I am not excited about Christmas and why I rarely decorate or put up a tree. Why Halloween is more my favorite holiday than Christmas. Here is my most remembered Christmas.

My first memory of Christmas, the one that haunts me most happened when I was around 6 or 7 years old or so, I don't remember much of my early childhood because i have blocked most of it out, but I do remember this. We had a german shepard named "Duchess" and my sister and I loved her like crazy. She was our first dog and a beloved friend. We were so excited for christmas that year, we had a tree with lots of lights on it. A real tree this year. As we got older my mom used a plastic tree more and more often. As kids will do, we stayed awake in our beds really late excited about Christmas morning.

In the morning we ran down stairs and looked for our dog to share in our happiness. Duchess was no where to be found. Yes, We woke up to find my parents had given away our dog on Christmas. I have asked them since why they would have chosen to give away a child's dog on Christmas and they always said that the people they were giving her too were moving and that was the best time. Best time? when is there a best time to give away someone's dog? Let's see, definitely not on Christmas!

I have tried to recapture the Christmas spirit for M, her first two Christmas's were pretty good I think. No tree, but I did get her a lovely stocking and I try to get her one really big gift. Last year we went to a great Christmas party with her friends. I want her to remember Christmas as a time of happiness and love.

No comments: